Monday, February 09, 2009


Missing Marilyn Feng

This past weekend, my friend Marilyn Feng was killed by a drunk driver as she was walking. She was coming from tango classes with her boyfriend. He is in critical condition. She was supposed to start work today at Chinatown's Manpower.

Marilyn was very involved in the APA community. She had formerly worked at the Borough President's office and for Asian Women in Business. Marilyn was only a few years younger than I and had already held a degree in law from NYU.

As I walked through the neighborhood today, I couldn't help but think of her. We girls had a list of things that we wanted to try out in the Chinatown area. We were planning to do everything from taking kickboxing classes, to getting a back massages and dinners. She was going to start work today, just down the block from where I am. There seemed to be so much time ahead of us. Now I realize and regret that our time was cut short.

I had just seen her a couple of weeks ago and she was perfectly healthy. A young girl with a love for the community and a bright future ahead of her.

The community and the world suffers a loss. I encourage people to be careful while driving and to be especially responsible when drinking.

We will all be missing Marilyn Feng...