Sunday, November 15, 2009



THE STRAW MAN

Today I passed by the Straw Man. He's the man who has been at the corner of Canal and Mott for many years. He makes beautiful animals and shapes out of straw. Many of us have stopped and watched as he weaves his straw into art. In all of my passings, I've never witnessed a person actually buying anything from him...

Last year, the Chinese newspaper interviewed me, the Straw Man, and others in the community. The theme of the article was "What I hoped for in the new year". I had replied that I hope that my new children's book takes off. I wished for lots of new ice cream flavors and happy things....

Because I can't read Chinese, I thought all the other people in the pictures had similar responses. Until I recently had the article translated I didn't know what the Straw Man's response was...

He said that he was homeless and had sought refugee in a local church. His Mother had also passed that year. Life had been hard on him. His hopes for the new year was that he would sell more of his straw art so he would have a home.

Now his location has changed his location to a slightly off location. He hides a bit behind some scaffolding along Canal Street between Mott and Mulberry.

Let's all wish him a better year this year.