Wednesday, March 10, 2010

FUNERAL FLOWERS

I used to depend on my family to take care of sending flowers for funerals. That was a grown up thing. Going to the florists that line Mulberry street was foreign to me. Not knowing Chinese, I would not know how to order flowers and how to explain who to send them to.

Good piece of information to know: if you are sending flowers to a funeral anywhere in Chinatown or Flushing, the people at these florists will help you find them. These florists are interlinked with the funeral homes and have their names. They realize the importance of getting their arrangements there. Don't be intimidated by going if you're not Chinese or if you're Chinese is poor. If you can just write the name of the person and the funeral home, they will help you get it there.

I guess it's part of being a grown up; experiencing loss and learning how to do these things...

I write about this today because my friend passed away. He never had the chance to try my ice cream and I feel sad that he won't be able to now ... Perhaps this is my simple way of saying he was way too young. It pains me today to have to send flowers to him. My condolences go out to his friends and family.

FUNERAL FLOWERS
Florists along Mulberry Street, across from Columbus Park