Saturday, May 30, 2009


THE SHOE MAN

For any of us that have walked by Columbus Park, know the "Shoe Man".  He is the person who sits on the corner that repairs shoes.  He has finally moved locations after 26 years!  I walked by and saw the sign in the picture above.

I wonder what caused him to move!  Email me if you know the scoop.  I have gone to him for many years.  I never understood why he did it for so cheap because it just seemed so labor intensive.  He has often reheeled my boots and such for something like $2 or $3.   That is dirt cheap!  

I always did feel that he did do it as a labor of love.  He always seems very happy with what he's doing although it is tedious.  The Shoe Man is also very inventive, having two phone numbers.  This is because his English isn't very good and doesn't want to lose business.  What an ingenious idea! 

He will now be on 221 Grand Street and Elizabeth Street.  I'm glad he just moved and didn't retire!

THE SHOE MAN
221 GRAND STREET
646-434-9360 (Chinese)
646-434-9352 (English)